[openstack-dev] About sheepdog hot to use?

Huang Zhiteng winston.d at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 15:41:07 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Kang Hua <kanghua151 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi friend:
>    I wonder , sheepdog that as backend for volume service is how to use and
> implment?
>    it is exposed as a iscsi device? or as a qemu block device ?
>    if it as a qemu block device , how it can be used for hvm-xen ?
SheepDog block(object) can be directly used as Qemu device,
theoretically it can be used by any hypervisor that uses Qemu to do
disk emulation, so I think upstream Xen + libvirt + HVM guest should
work fine with SheepDog.  Meanwhile, it's possible to use SheepDog
object as iSCSI target's backing store.  This way, SheepDog can
support more hypervisor such ESXi and Hyper-V.
>    For,I want integrate my opensource block device storage - HLFS
> (http://code.google.com/p/cloudxy/wiki/WHAT_IS_CLOUDXY) into openstack, I do
> not know whether I must implement a iscsi target ?
I think iSCSI is the best option if you want to support different
hypervisors.  If you don't, you can just implement one special driver
to certain hypervisor(s).
>    3x a lottttttttttttttttttt!
>
> Kanghua

Regards