[openstack-dev] Quantum/Balancer API design specification draft

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 20:25:29 UTC 2012

On 09/25/2012 07:44 AM, Alex Gosse wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been working on a /draft/ design (as more of a thought experiment
> than anything) for extensions to Quantum that address load balancing.  I
> started with the Quantum API v2 document as a sort of template in order
> to conform as closely as possible to that.  This is deliberately
> intended to not include any influence from either /Atlas-LB/ or
> /Equilibrium/ (aka Mirantis' LBaaS).  Rather, it attempts to take into
> account only the possible use-cases and the current design of Quantum,
> and not any previous efforts to provide an independent LBaaS solution.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1B8Xu8Td05dd_ar4aTej8pA3UDH8f3-bE8h5Oyg6Z2OU
>
> I wanted to get the */concepts/* section hashed out first, then flesh
> out the API operations later.
>
> All feedback welcome!

Hi Alex, pretty much everything lgtm. Though I would note that the REST
APIs in OpenStack components generally use the plural of the resource
name instead of the singular. So, for instance, I'd change:

POST /balancer/service

to:

POST /balancer/services

Hope that helps. Looking forward to seeing some movement on this and see
how the Mirantis LBaaS stuff can be merged into this effort.

Best,
-jay