[openstack-dev] Automate backup images

Édouard Thuleau thuleau at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 12:07:02 UTC 2012

Hi Josh,

I aim to automate backup images of instance.

I saw that you implemented a backup solution to the OpenStack Compute API
which uses the snapshot mechanism of OpenStack Nova. It adds backup command
with parameters 'backup_type' and 'rotation'. This command permits to
define two type of backup (daily and weekly) and the number of backup to
keep around.

The problem is this mechanism isn't periodically executed by OpenStack. The
user must execute himself the backup command to update the backuped images.

I created, few weeks ago, a blueprint to define a simple way to automate
this mechanism: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/backup-schedule

Could you send me some comments/feedback on this blueprint ?

Regards,
Édouard.