[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] alternative publication conduits

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Sun Oct 28 17:30:02 UTC 2012

> Isn't this the same topic as the one on Monday that Annie setup?
>
> https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg17802.html
>
> Lets not redo the same logic in two places.

I'm not sure this is exactly the same thing. I was proposing an
extension to the ceilometer infrastructure to make it possible to
to publish the output of ceilo listeners/pollsters via different
conduits (other than via the message bus to the ceilo collector).

The idea would be to re-use the information already harvested by
ceilo, where these data are of interest to multiple sinks.

So for example, I just proposed a patch to the ceilo libvirt
pollster to estimate the guest CPU utilization %. The idea would
be to share this same measurement with both the metering and
metrics pipelines, instead of repeating it, seeing as it's of
interest to both.

Whereas IIUC the Monday meeting is more concerned with the source
side, i.e producing more fine-grained instrumention/timings/
telemetry of a form that we don't currently produce in ceilo.

Cheers,
Eoghan