[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] alternative publication conduits

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 14:19:18 UTC 2012

> > The DiskIOPollster would also provide a second Transformer to
> > mediate between the raw stats format and the ceilo Counter
> > representation for metering.  Additionally, this second Publisher
> > could be configured with a longer period (as befits metering data
> > likely to be consumed by a billing engine).
>
> I don't think it's up to the Pollster to provide Transformers. If we go
> on that road, I'm afraid it complicates a lot the Pollster writing.

That was just poorly expressed in my initial mail. The intent was
more like:

 "the DiskIOPollster could also be associated with a second Transformer
  via configuration ..."

> Why wouldn't each publisher be in charge to convert the Counters yielded
> by the Pollsters using whatever their own Transformer(s)?

Yes, I think we may be ad idem on that point.

The idea was to split the publisher and transformer concerns, as
there are likely to be far fewer of the former than the latter.

For example, we might have a single CloudWatchPublisher that
knows how to call PutMetricData with any metric datum, and also
multiple CloudWatchTransformers who each know how to construct a
particular set of metrics from some domain-specific raw data
(e.g. the disk stats returned by libvirt).

Cheers,
Eoghan