[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] Motion to validate Heat's application as incubated project

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Oct 26 13:57:12 UTC 2012

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-10-26 at 14:30 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>>> All of the instructions to Heat about how to orchestrate the launching
>>> of an app are supplied as part of the "run my Wordpress app" request in
>>> the form of a "template" file. If you know AWS CloudFormations, then you
>>> know how this works. Heat borrows heavily from it.
>>
>> The main issue I see with us entering this space is that there are many
>> competing solutions out there. I'm not entirely convinced there is that
>> much value in OpenStack picking one and somehow making the others
>> second-class...
>
> Care to list the many competing solutions that you're concerned about
> making second-class?

I was thinking about Juju, or cloud-oriented uses of Puppet/Chef.
Autoscaling would also touch a number of management solutions (like Scalr).

>> In particular, the argument could be made that ...
>
> Unclear whether you're relaying perceived potential arguments or your
> own view?

Relaying perceived potential arguments that struck a chord in me (and
which I think need to be discussed). My own view is not yet fully formed :)

> [...]
> However, I do see the project growing (slowly, cautiously) in scope over
> time and that should be welcomed. What is considered "basic IaaS" will
> change. What users considered advanced features when EC2 was first
> launched are now considered trivial and features like CloudWatch and
> Auto-Scaling are "basic".
>
> I see Heat as being in the vein - with the increasingly sophisticated
> features clouds are providing and how people are using those features, a
> orchestration API is becoming pretty essential.
> [...]

I see your point, and I value the open discussion around the scope
growth and timing issue. I feel like, together with the "kill the
ecosystem" issue, those will be the sticky points in the decision.

Personally I'm not convinced yet either way, and I hope the open
discussion will help me form a final opinion.

--
Thierry