[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] Motion to validate Heat's application as incubated project

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Oct 26 12:30:29 UTC 2012

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> All of the instructions to Heat about how to orchestrate the launching
> of an app are supplied as part of the "run my Wordpress app" request in
> the form of a "template" file. If you know AWS CloudFormations, then you
> know how this works. Heat borrows heavily from it.

The main issue I see with us entering this space is that there are many
competing solutions out there. I'm not entirely convinced there is that
much value in OpenStack picking one and somehow making the others
second-class...

In particular, the argument could be made that the priority should be in
providing the basic services that IaaS is about (together with the
supporting services that are necessary to run those), while leaving the
client/management/orchestration/deployment space to an ecosystem of
competing solutions.

> In considering the incubation proposal, I'd like to see us consider e.g.
>
>   * Is the project a sound technical idea?
>   * Does the architecture make sense?
>   * Is the service useful to OpenStack operators or users?
>   * Are the APIs a good addition to OpenStack APIs?
>   * Is the project following OpenStack development processes?
>   * Does the project look like it has a healthy future?

Incubation is about diverting some common resources (QA, CI, Release
management) to support the incubating project. So we also need to
address whether the project ultimately looks like a welcome addition to
the OpenStack set of projects or if it should just live "in the
ecosystem"... because incubating a project has a cost.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Chair, OpenStack Technical Committee