[openstack-dev] Introducing Synaps project that provides AWS CloudWatch compatible API

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 09:21:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:54:02AM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Deok-June Yi wrote:
> > I'm working for Synaps project that provides AWS CloudWatch compatible API at Samsung SDS.
> > Currently, we have plan to open the project to the community.
> >
> > Here I introduce Synaps project:
> > http://wiki.openstack.org/Synaps
>
> Details are a bit scarce but at first glance there seem to be an overlap
> with the CloudWatch work in the Heat project ?

There certainly seems to be from the description, but pretty hard to
evaluate until we see some code ;)

> Any chance the two groups could meet at the Design Summit next week and
> make sure we don't duplicate effort here ?
>
> Angus Saskeld has a session on CloudWatch in the Incubation room:
> http://openstacksummitfall2012.sched.org/event/60b0bcf1253efcb3dd72dff531d59d26

Angus Salkeld and Steve Dake will be at the Summit and could discuss, also
possible overlap with metric collection in ceilometer (has been discussed
previously).

I have several questions which will be make/break for the heat usage of
Cloudwatch:

- Is the metric collection secure/authenticated?
- Are metrics collected from the hypervisors or in-instance?
- Can service monitoring (in instance) metrics be collected?
- Is the API authenticated (ie via keystone ec2 credentials?)

Many more questions, need to see code and evaluate if we could use this for
heat or if we continue with our own implementation.

--
Steve Hardy
Red Hat Engineering, Cloud