[openstack-dev] Swift App

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Mon Oct 8 16:20:07 UTC 2012

"Advice on swift application development" could cover a lot of ground and fill a lot of pages of text. However, here are some getting started places.

First, check out the swift API docs at http://docs.openstack.org. Swift's API is HTTP, so any client or library that speaks HTTP can talk to swift. I've published some examples of using Python's httplib to talk to swift at http://programmerthoughts.com/programming/quickly-uploading-to-cloud-files-part-2/.

If you are looking for language bindings, check out either https://github.com/openstack/python-swiftclient (the official Python language bindings) or https://github.com/rackspace/python-cloudfiles). There are bindings for other languages as well.

As a general guide for building a client app, first, know your data. Try to use concurrency when talking to swift (instead of sending each request serially). Also, for large data sets, shard your data across many containers. Try to target 1-10 million objects in each container (although this is affected by your hardware deployment choices). Swift is designed for high throughput using many concurrent connections, so take advantage of that.

--John