[openstack-dev] minimum review time?

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Tue Oct 2 19:16:32 UTC 2012

It did come up several months back, yep.

I'm against any enforced minimum review time. Much like using "sleep" in your code, it's an arbitrary solution that's always going to be wrong in some cases. I see it this way:

    1. Your core devs should have some level of consideration for each other and should be able to discern a change that deserves more review.
    2. If you don't trust the judgment of every one of your core devs, you've got a problem that a timeout won't help.
    3. Requiring that, say, a typo docs fix, or a version number bump for release have a mandatory "waiting period" only slows down the machinery overall and adds another frustrating barrier for developers and maintainers alike.

If someone approves a patch too quickly, talk to them about it. Let them know you would've liked more time to review that patch and ask them to consider giving it a little more time in the future. Let's not go shoving in more roadblocks. :-)

All the best,

    - Gabriel