[openstack-dev] Python API docs

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Mon Oct 1 14:44:09 UTC 2012

So I was helping a guy working on some Python client code, and I told him to
look at the Python Openstack API for all his interface needs.  One
confusing conversation later, I realised it's actually not at all as
simple as that.

The obvious place one might look for programming Nova via Python is
the document on http://docs.openstack.org/api/ temptingly named
'Programming Openstack Compute API with Shell and Python'.  However,
this makes no significant mention of Python, and actually not many
mentions of the 'nova' command, focussing on curl as its command of
choice.  I really don't think we should be recommending curl (or even
web calls) as the
primary interface for Python developers.

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/python-novaclient/api.html details
the API I had in mind, but I've not yet found anything obvious that
says 'use me! I'm standardised!', leading me to wonder if the
interface there is guaranteed within and across versions or subject to
change without notice.

So, some open questions:

- which is the API, and documentation, I should be using?
- reading the website, how can I be sure of that?
- why can't I find it in 2 minutes flat?

--
Ian.