[openstack-dev] _() consensus??

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 30 09:29:57 UTC 2012

Joshua Harlow wrote:
> For further background on this whole discussion (so we can avoid
> repeating it yet again).
>
>  1. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/dev/11821?search_string=i18n%20of%20log%20message;#11821
>  2. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/dev/7764?search_string=i18n%20of%20log%20message

There were also a number of threads about this on the main openstack
list. Every time, there is general consensus that end-user-facing
messages (think external API errors) should be translated. And every
time there is a (unresolved) conflict about log messages.

On one side there are the English-fluent developers claiming that (1)
every log-reading person on Earth can read enough English to understand
a log message and (2) if translations of log messages was so simple and
important it would have been completed and working a long time ago. On
the other side you have non-US (mostly APAC) deployers of OpenStack
claiming premise (1) isn't as true as you would believe, and who see log
message I18N as one low cost to pay to increase OpenStack adoption in
some countries.

There is no easy way to reconcile both parties. I think the PTLs should
make the final clear call for their project, and if they prefer they
could defer to the TC to define a default project-wide position on this.

Note that this is one of the very few discussions that are relevant on
both mailing-lists. Having it only here is a sure way to make the
developers reach a decision that could piss off the other half of the world.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack