[openstack-dev] [Quantum] [LBaaS] Quantum create port

John Gruber john.t.gruber at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 00:27:29 UTC 2012

Okay.. creating multiple fixed IPs on the port create call works just fine.
 That definitely makes device level addressing feasible because each device
will have its own port (MAC address). Easy enough....

Need some validation from the quantum L2 folk... Quantum IPAM isn't really
IPAM it's 'IPAM bound to L2 networking', which may come with some
assumptions we aren't thinking about..

So if we are to define a VIP which needs an L3 address within a subnet
created on a tenant quantum network (making allocation_pools not something
you can decide before you need them), we will need to attach it to a port
(hence a MAC address) in order for quantum to see the L3 address as
'allocated'.  If it is not 'allocated', other tenant generated devices (
nova vm or otherwise ) could have the same VIP L3 address 'allocated' to
them by quantum. As long as a fixed_ip is managed by quantum, it must be
'tied' to a port (thus a MAC address) to avoid it being assigned otherwise.
 I had not expected that.

Just to cover our bases... My question is: Does assigning a fixed IP to a
port (MAC address) necessarily dictate anything for quantum L2 networking?
 If so, what does the mean for fixed_ip mobility and HA? Did we just bind
L2 to L3 in quantum and make it a necessary update for all our HA
mechanisms? I hope not..

What happens when the LBaaS device's HA mechanism decides that a VIP L3
address is no longer 'bound' to the MAC address of the quantum port and
needs to move it to a different MAC address. Will that screw up anything at
L2 for quantum now that they are tied together in its data model?

If it helps, we can mandate the use of MAC masquerading (with either
quantum generated or LBaaS generated MAC address ..doesn't matter) for the
quantum ports we create for LBaaS devices. That works. In an HA event,
frames from the port's MAC address can start coming from any  device in the
LBaaS cluster. The assumption is that whatever LBaaS device takes over the
port MAC address and sends out GARPs for the fixed_ips , the associated
quantum L2 plugin devices will clean up themselves and will forward that
port's traffic to it's new home. This is how physical L2 switching without
L3 bindings work today, but in my testing I am only talking to one ovs.. so
of course that works. I didn't see anything in quantum 'dictating' L2 HA
behavior had to work, but I am counting on it. It's an assumption.  If I
had not bound my L3 address to L2 MACs in quantum just to get some
addressing allocated I would be feeling better about the assumption.

NOTE: Quantum ports have a device_id which for nova vms gets set to the
vNIC (sorry I used the term vif earlier..) generated id, but which is not
required, nor validated by quantum.  I assume that for a quantum port
mobility solution, the device_id should be populated by a reference to the
LBaaS HA cluster in some way to aid in troubleshooting.  I did not see
anything making the device_id significant.. it's not required on the port.

OR.. is L2 HA now screwed and..

When an LBaaS device HA event is triggered, if ethernet like L2 behavior
can not be assumed for every quantum plugin, we will need to have mobile
fixed_ips moving between ports (hence MAC addresses).  This is really
making the LBaaS devices do L3 HA. The LBaaS device (or preferable the
LBaaS service) would have to move the fixed_ips to a different quantum port
(hence MAC address).  You would have to update the first port removing the
fixed_ips, then update the second port adding the fixed_ips, and pray that
your fixed_ips don't get allocated in the however much time it takes
between the two atomic quantum API actions. ('two atomic quantum actions'
.. that's funny... somewhere a physicist just rolled over in his grave..)
 If this is true, we just lost switch clean up speeds and now have API
update speeds dictating the time it takes to failover an HA networking
device. That might be okay.. it might not.

Right now I am depend on L2 HA (port mobility) working. It's a big 'if'
without dynamic MAC learning and expiration of the L2 forwarding table on
GARP be spelled out in the quantum L2 specification. I had not expected the
requirement for L3 addresses to be bound to L2 ports just to use quantum
IPAM... Again..I'm just worried about what the 'binding' of a fixed_ip to a
port 'means' to quantum L2 devices now....

Thoughts?

John