[openstack-dev] [Quantum] [LBaaS] Quantum create port

John Gruber john.t.gruber at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 20:11:35 UTC 2012

Looking for advice...

I am working with Quantum as an IPAM solution and preparing for the basic
methods needed to get L3 addressing on the appropriate subnets for an LBaaS
device cluster.

Because every L3 address object inside a L2 failover domain will require
the same MAC address, I can't just create separate ports for each L3 object
as the MAC address can only be 'in-use' on one port at a time for Quantum.
This makes sense, but leads me to a problem.  There is neither 1) a way to
specify the number of fixed IP addresses you want allocated when you create
a port nor 2) a way to update a port telling Quantum to allocate an
additional fixed IPs to that port.

So I am left with tracking all the ports for a network, mapping them to
subnets,  doing IP address math to understand the start and end of the
allocation pool, then trying to 'guess', with possibly repeated update
calls to the port, what new set of fixed IPs I can put together, letting
exceptions occur to tell me if I need to try again.  This is a bad plan.  I
have not done this yet, but will if I have to. Basically reproducing a lot
of Quantum IPAM business logic outside of Quantum.

Is this why it was suggested just to access the DB directly?

I'm really hoping that I'm wrong and there is a way in the Quantum API that
I missed to simply get additional fixed IPs allocated for a port on the
same subnet. Seems like an obvious requirement even for VM hosts with
aliased IP addresses on the same quantum port, so I had assumed it was
would be in the API syntax.

I see bugs for multiple floating IPs:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/quantum/+bug/1057844

and advice on adding multiple fixed IPs on different subnets:

https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg17634.html

But I am missing how to create multiple fixed_ips on the same subnet for
the same port. Preferably calls to update a port and have Quantum allocate
additional fixed_ips without the client having to already know which IPs it
can have.

I even see recent messages where the libvirt driver only support 1 IP per
vif right now:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/dev/20264

That doesn't help the LBaaS device.

I didn't find anything obvious showing how to allocate multiple fixed_ips
on the same port on the same subnet.  Forgetting HA even for a minute,
won't we need to allocate a fixed_ip for each VIP on a Quantum managed
subnet? We might be doing this a lot no?

Am I missing something obvious?

John Gruber