[openstack-dev] [Cinder] LIO support in Cinder

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Wed Nov 28 19:15:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Vishvananda Ishaya
<vishvananda at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Andy Grover <agrover at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> > It is designed entirely for interactive use. Local programmatic
> > configuration should be done via rtslib. Remote programmatic
> > configuration should be done via targetd.
> >
> > If neither of these is really an option, I'd actually prefer you write a
> > custom executable wrapper around rtslib that does what you need. This
> > will also avoid pulling in the dependencies needed for targetcli's
> > interactive capability.
> >
> > I am of the opinion that using libraries is infinitely preferable to
> > shelling out to execute cmdline tools, see:
> >

> http://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2012/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Grover-APIs.odp
> >
> > I certainly understand needing to do so for the many existing tools that
> > don't have libraries, but to force this model when proper APIs are
> > available (in Python, even) seems less than ideal.
>
> An implementation of:
>
> class LioAdm(TargetAdmin):
>
> using rtslib seems fairly trivial.
>
> I would suggest going that route to start. We can also have a targetd
> version but
> that is definitely a bigger task.
>
> Vish

Talking to Eric H and folks in the Cinder meeting this morning I think we
all agreed on this, so long as there's no objections here from the broader
ML?  The only question that remains is dealing with the root-access
requirement by Cinder for rtslib.  Not sure about changes to the lib to fix
this, or the possibility of a wrapper etc. or maybe it's not a major
concern?