[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] One question to CW support and multiple publisher

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 13:53:38 UTC 2012

> > > Well it depends on whether the CW service in integral to
> > > ceilo, or at arms length. In the latter case, e.g. Synaps,
> > > the CW publisher would do the metric push via the CW public
> > > API.
> >
> > Yep, for now we don't envisage doing CW inside Ceilo. If
> > Ceilometer API can do that at some point for an almost free
> > cost, we'll see. For now it's not in our scope.
>
> So are you saying you won't support adding a CW compatible API,
> or that you won't support the concept (or at least
> requirements) of CW at all inside ceilometer?
>
> This has a pretty big impact in terms of the heat potential
> usage of ceilometer as a metric source - I'd hoped we could
> move away from storing metric data at all inside heat, instead
> using metrics and associated statistics from ceilometer.
>
> It seems like you're saying you'll only support a hook to push
> metric data to an external CW API (which has it's own
> datastore), so heat will need to either maintain it's own CW
> API implementation and datastore or move to using something
> like Synaps (*and* ceilometer) to provide CW style metrics?
>
> Clarification appreciated, as this seems like a change in
> direction from (my understanding of) previous goals.

Hi Steve,

My understanding is that we aim to provide a CW-watch style
user-oriented-monitoring, either directly within the project,
or in partnership with an existing implementation such as Synapse.

My "integral to ceilo" comment above was intended to convey an
approach that involves the same conduit being used to transport
metrics and metering messages, the same store being used to
persist metric and metering data, and the same API being used
to serve out both.

An alternative approach would involve implementing CW as a
standalone service within the ceilo project (or a sub-project)
with an independent store.

Now there has been some recent discussion on re-narrowing the
ceilo project scope to concentrate on metering for grizzly.
This is still an open question which I intend to discuss at
the team meeting tomorrow (my feeling is that we should still
aim to address the CW requirement, by partnering up or via a
standalone service within ceilo).

Hope that clarifies ...

Cheers,
Eoghan