[openstack-dev] [Cinder] LIO support in Cinder

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Wed Nov 28 04:12:39 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Eric Harney <eharney at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 20:22 -0500, Russell Bryant wrote:
> > On 11/26/2012 06:46 PM, Eric Harney wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I've posted a blueprint for supporting the LIO (linux-iscsi.org)
> target
> > > in Cinder.  This leverages targetd to interface with LIO, and will be
> > > implemented as an alternative target within the iSCSI driver.
> > >
> > > A detailed spec has not been posted yet, but I would like to welcome
> > > high-level feedback on this as a feature and start discussion around
> it.
> > >
> > > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/lio-support-via-targetd
> >
> > Thanks, Eric!
> >
> > I have one implementation question.  You mention that this will be
> > implemented as an alternative target within the iSCSI driver.  Why not
> > make it its own driver?
> >
> > IIRC, the iSCSI driver is built around exposing local storage.  A
> > targetd driver would be managing remote storage resources, so it seems
> > to be a different model.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >

> Thinking about this a bit more, it does probably make sense for it to be
> its own driver, which would be consistent with many of the other drivers
> for remote storage resources.
>
> I'm not too clear on where the line is here (between iSCSI vs. other
> driver), but your reasoning sounds right to me.

> I'm curious as to the rationale of including a (relatively new) python
project
> for this. It seems like the fastest path to using LIO would be to simply
> extend the tgt code to be able to use targetcli[1] in addition to tgtadmin
> and ietadmin. That seems like literally a few days of work.

I have to say this (Vish's comment above) is actually more of what I had
envisioned when I talked with Eric about this last week.  I also think that
doing an iterative approach is a good idea.

As far as targetd, I'm not sure it's quite ready (well definitely don't
think it's ready in the Grizzly time-frame)?  If I'm wrong on this please
let me know, but in terms of distro support aren't we looking at 2013
releases before we start seeing it fully integrated?

I also would like to hear from the HP, Brocade and IBM folks that are
working on FC support.  It might be a good idea to get some thought
together with them regarding details of what they have in mind and what LIO
may or may not be able to help with.  This likely won't change the current
conversation but there may be some details that we should be thinking about.

John