[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] The reset on the cumulative counter

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue Nov 27 17:38:02 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26 2012, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>
> > I understand Julien's reluctance to have the pollsters emitting computed
> > data, but tracking values inside the pollster so we can send a delta
> > instead of the cumulative value we have now seems like a relatively
> > straightforward fix for this.
>
> I may have a better idea.
> The problem with doing that in the pollster, is that:
> 1. it's bad bad bad bad
> 2. it's inefficient since you may lose values on restart
>    you won't know what the value was before

We will if we persist them on the compute node.

> 3. it's not sure all publishers targets will want delta

True. We may need to send gauge and delta events (or combine the values in
a single event).

> What about doing this with both this approaches:
> - with a transformer if someone really wants to do this for a publisher
> - for ceilometer-collector, so it inside the collector: it will always
>   know what the last value is, since it's stored in the database. So it
>   just has to fetch the last stored value from the db if it doesn't know
>   it, compute the delta, and stores it.

That doesn't work if different collector instances receive events from the
same meter on the same resource in parallel (which could happen easily if
the queue gets backed up).