[openstack-dev] [oslo] Oslo library versioning

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Nov 27 16:45:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-11-27 at 08:21 -0800, Monty Taylor wrote:
> I think it's important to think about what it means to have  6-month
> lead time between landing a feature in oslo and it being able to be
> used in any of the projects. So I agree that other projects should
> only consume new oslo apis if they've been released, and I agree about
> not publishing dev versions to PyPI - I would counsel against setting
> them on the hard-and-fast rule of the 6-month core project release
> cycle.
> (obviously, you can always NOT release something if it's not ready)

Wait, wait - you misunderstood me.

Oslo libraries would have a 6 month development cycle. At the end of the
6 months, Oslo libraries would be released as part of the co-ordinated
OpenStack release and also pushed to PyPI. Similarly, releases from the
stable branch of Oslo libraries would be released along with other core
project stable releases.

During the 6 months of development, we'd do regular snapshot releases of
the libraries and the development branches of core OpenStack projects
would be able to consume those releases. A snapshot release would just
be our way of communicating with other core projects that new APIs are
ready for consumption.

OpenStack milestone releases would include the latest snapshot releases
of Oslo libraries. Within a milestone, we have the opportunity to fixup
API design issues with incompatible changes between snapshots.

The logistics question is about how to make snapshot releases available
and allow core projects consume them.

During development, would there be any issue with just using tarball
URLs in pip-requires? e.g.

  https://launchpad.net/oslo-config/grizzly/grizzly-2.4/+download/oslo-config-2012.2~g2.4.tar.gz

Leading up to final release time, we'd publish the Oslo library releases
early to PyPI and update pip-requires to use:

  oslo-config>=2012.2

The thing is, we don't want to publish dev versions of Oslo to PyPI but
we *do* want the dev branches of other core projects to be able to use
dev versions of Oslo.

Cheers,
Mark.