[openstack-dev] [Cinder] LIO support in Cinder

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 16:12:59 UTC 2012

On Nov 26, 2012, at 3:46 PM, Eric Harney <eharney at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've posted a blueprint for supporting the LIO (linux-iscsi.org) target
> in Cinder.  This leverages targetd to interface with LIO, and will be
> implemented as an alternative target within the iSCSI driver.
>
> A detailed spec has not been posted yet, but I would like to welcome
> high-level feedback on this as a feature and start discussion around it.
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/lio-support-via-targetd
>
> Thank you,
> Eric

I'm curious as to the rationale of including a (relatively new) python project
for this. It seems like the fastest path to using LIO would be to simply
extend the tgt code to be able to use targetcli[1] in addition to tgtadmin
and ietadmin. That seems like literally a few days of work.

Integrating targetd sounds more complicated and I think it would be better
done with its own driver. If you are managing volumes remotely I don't think you
are going to get much benefit out of sharing the existing target code.

Would you consider a dual approach? A quick-and-dirty version using targetcli
to get lio support in, followed by a more general driver using targetd?

Vish

[1] http://linux-iscsi.com/wiki/Targetcli