[openstack-dev] [Quantum] continuing todays discussion about the l3 agents

Mark McClain mark.mcclain at dreamhost.com
Tue Nov 27 04:06:04 UTC 2012

All-

I wanted to continue the discussion from the today's meeting about the L3 agents.  The two proposed solutions take different approaches, so I think we first should agree on what we're trying to solve: scaling or availability or both.

Nachi and Yong call their proposal "scheduler", but really it is really a horizontal scale out model.  Scheduling is the means they've chosen to distribute the load.  While their solution scales out horizontally, it does not address fully availability.  Gary's proposal fronts the l3 services with a load balancing like service.  It addresses availability by using an active/standby setup, but does not cover what happens when vertical scaling maxes out due to too many tenant networks and/or routers to fit on a physical node.

I think the answer is to do both by incorporating a combination of the two proposals.  The L3 and DHCP agents are different enough that we may not be able to find a universal solution and that's is ok.

Lastly, deployers have different SLAs and may even have different SLAs for different tenants, so we need to make sure we have a foundation for vendors and deployers to meet their varying SLAs.

Thoughts?

mark