[openstack-dev] Making pbr an Oslo package

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 22:01:37 UTC 2012

Hey Monty

For other people's reference, this is about taking pbr ("Python Build
Reasonableness") and releasing it as an Oslo library package:

  https://github.com/openstack-dev/pbr
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ci/+bug/1082821

My understanding is pbr is based on the openstack.common.setup module in
oslo-incubator but has evolved a good bit since then.

The reason we're thinking it makes sense under Oslo is that it does
encode a bunch of OpenStack specific ideas which aren't something we see
other projects adopting wholesale.

There's a bunch to discuss here:

  - You say in the bug that it needs work. It hasn't seen any activity
    in the last couple of months. Is that likely to change soon?

  - How close do you think we are to being able to make a commitment to
    its API stability? Remember the rule we're aiming for in Oslo
    packages is that APIs need to be deprecated for two releases before
    they can be removed[1]

  - Are any projects using it yet? Catch 22 here, I guess, but I'm
    never too confident about any API until it has been used for a
    while.

  - If we still have a bunch of work to do here, isn't pbr effectively
    in Incubation? Would it make sense to move it back into
    oslo-incubator for a while? At least that would reduce the
    confusion around the current stuff being stale.

  - Bikeshedding, oslo-version doesn't make sense to me - thinking
    something like oslo-build or oslo-setuptools or something?

Cheers,
Mark.

[1] - https://etherpad.openstack.org/grizzly-oslo