[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core - a motion

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Nov 26 18:53:09 UTC 2012

On 11/19/2012 07:03 AM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> "We see Incubation as a trial period where projects interested in
> joining the OpenStack community have the opportunity to demonstrate
> their willingness to meet OpenStack standards for coordinated releases
> and project management. The Incubation period is time-based and
> intends to provide a extended evaluation effort while providing the
> project shared resources both for consumption and contribution. While
> evaluation criteria for incubation exit are still needed, the ideal
> incubation process affords time for both the project itself and the
> community. Ideally projects exiting incubation give a proven,
> measurable ability to enable OpenStack infrastructure and services, to
> increase adoption for OpenStack and possibly across multiple OpenStack
> clouds, and prove it has potential for wide usefulness."

I like this too: it's clear and straight to the point. My only concern
is with the terms "nuclear" and "core". While re-reading this whole
thread I kept thinking that a good name for projects that complete
Incubation is 'Integrated', as this term IMO clearly indicates that the
project has done its work to "demonstrate their willingness to meet
OpenStack standards for coordinated releases and project management".
"Core" can be a subset of "Integrated" and this way we wouldn't have to
change much of our current way of communicating OpenStack.

I believe we may discuss the terminology at a later stage though.

/stef