[openstack-dev] [Keystone] RBAC limitations - was A set of Keystone blueprints relating to domains

heckj heckj at mac.com
Mon Nov 26 18:23:22 UTC 2012

On Nov 25, 2012, at 12:46 PM, David Chadwick <d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk> wrote:
> Firstly I agree with Henry that segmenting an openstack installation into multiple independent domains is an important functionality to provide. But coupled with this, we should also have the ability to provide interdomain access as well. Otherwise you end up with un-interoperable silos. For example, two organisations may have separate domains on the same openstack system, and later decide they want to cooperate and have some of their users share information. This should be achievable with configuration or policy changes without having to rebuild the entire openstack system. So I would extend Henry's no 1 goal to be "interoperable domains"  rather than standalone domains.
>
> It seems to me that Henry's second goal can be relatively easily achieved by having a proper RBAC/ABAC interface between the service (PEP) and the policy engine (PDP). This will allow different PDPs to be plugged in that support much more fine grained and sophisticated policies e.g. conditions based on time of day/week/month, different authentication levels etc without the user's role(s) necessarily needing to change. And this naturally leads onto the comments made by Joe.
>
> Joe, if we have a set of goals of varying levels of importance and priority, rather than picking the top priority goal and making a tailored solution to it, that solves this goal and only this goal, isnt it better to produce a more generic abstracted solution that can also solve many of the other goals as well?

I would only give a highly qualified yes as an answer to that question. A generic, abstracted solution often incurs so much complexity overhead to understand the solution that a simpler, less complete solution is more amenable because it's easy to understand (faults and all) and gets 80% of the job done. I'm all for having a vision of where we can go and driving it there, but it must be with pragmatic, usable stepping stones and clear goals of "why".

I'm passionate about AuthN/Z - and primarily that it's functional, interoperable, and clear to understand as the highest priorities.

> The former leads to more spaghetti code with different special parameters and APIs for different goals ie. a complex system that is very difficult to understand, whereas the latter leads to a conceptually much simpler system with cleaner code and more flexibility.
>
> Here is a case in point. The current RBAC interface requires in your words "all the data that comes in from the roles (name, user, tenant, etc).....to provide authorization". This requires many different special parameters to be passed to the policy engine via the API, and if you want to add groups in the future, then this causes yet another parameter to be added to the interface. However, if you go up a level of abstraction and say that you pass a set of subject attributes to the policy engine, and the API is written in this way, then you have an infinitely extensible interface that does not need to change when groups are added. Group is just another subject attribute that can be passed along with role, user, tenant, name etc. The API design is future proof to whichever new subject attributes come along next year or next decade.
>
> Joe, the above should also help to answer your question about type/value pairs. In the subject attributes example above, the type value pairs passed via the API might be
> name=David
> user=1234
> tenant=xyz
> role=prof
> Once you have this type of ABAC interface, it becomes trivial to add new features, by simply adding a new attribute type and value to those passed to the PDP, for example, to base authz also on the strength of authentication, you might add
> LOA=2 (level of assurance as per the NIST recommendation)
> to the set of subject attributes.
> A flexible policy based PDP can easily take this new attribute into account when policies are written and decisions are made, without needing to change the policy code base. You simply change the policy.
> You will of course need to change the service PEP, since it will need to pick up this new attribute from the Keystone authentication service, and pass it to the policy engine.

I like and appreciate the simplicity of the attribute based approach.

With making the attributes as arbitrary setups, what changes do you see to the REST interface that presents these as interpreted abstractions such as groups, domains, users, and projects today? Any? Or are you focused on the internal representation as attributes and passing these with an updated interface (i.e. the token interface) to the policy engines? How would you propose to extend/modify the token based interface to support additional interesting attributes for ABAC that can then be parsed and used by the policy engines? We must keep backwards compatibility here.

The attribute based mechanism could pretty clearly provide nice support for multi-factor or any "multiple attributes asserted" authentication mechanism. How does it also play into supporting interoperable domains? I could see adding a "groupname" attribute and providing a REST interface around that for manipulating the groups, but how does that cascade down into doing the equivalent of asserting that I want all folks in group "computeadmin" to have the role "computeadmin" and having that interpreted by the policy engine as such?

Are the policy engine and ABAC mechanism/interface changes a pre-requisite for this to happen in a reasonable form?

Part of what I'm trying to understand is how much work we're talking about, and where it needs to occur to enable this good stuff. We have a V3 API we're getting out there now with milestone-1, and a clear need to provide a few significant improvements in this release cycle - including a solid V3 API. Is what we're talking about here focused on slight modifications to the V3 API and implementation to make it solid, or deeper/longer changes that we expect to land out in H or I release cycles?

If that's the case, we need to be able to clearly separate actions we're taking to make the grizzly release effective and usable (which is where I saw Henry's original requests) and longer term goals for more interoperability and cleaner interfaces.

-joe