[openstack-dev] [Quantum] DHCP agent and LBaaS

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Sun Nov 25 13:56:13 UTC 2012

Hi,
There were two ideas discussed at the summit the first is the LBaaS and
the second was improvements for the DHCP agent (multinode). I think that
we can leverage the LBaaS to support a highly available and robust
Quantum DHCP service.

This can be achieved as follows:

1. For each network that supports a DHCP service there will be a VIP for
the DHCP address (this will also have the relevant health checks etc.)
2. Each DHCP running agent will be registered as a member (I hope that I
have the terminology correct here). Basically vip = {dhcps1, dhcps2, ...}
3. All of the DHCP requests and lease updates will be sent via the VIP
for the DHCP. The load balcner will select a DHCP server if this is the
first time a request from the client has been made or it will forward to
a existing server entry.

Please see the diagram below. This will enable a cluster of hosts on the
same network tenant to get a highly available DHCP service - the DHCP
server IP is the virtual IP (it is ideal to have an active backup load
balancing pair to ensure HA - this could either be by VRRP or some
propriatery method that any of the vendors support). My thinking is that
if we can use this for the first LBaaS integration example then we are
certainly moving in the right direction and we have killed two birds
with one stone.

In the example below there will be 2 DHCP agents. The traffic will be
load balanced by the active load balancer (in an active back
configuration the persistent sessions will be maintained :)).

A few minor changes may be required when Nova receives the DHCP address
- we should return the VIP address.

Ideas, comments or thoughts?

Thanks
Gary