[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer] model for ceilo/nova interaction going forward

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Nov 23 17:31:11 UTC 2012

From: Thierry Carrez [thierry at openstack.org]
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2012 12:54 PM

>Eoghan Glynn wrote:
>>> Thierry Carrez wrote:
>>>
>>> ...but without the process headaches of releasing that layer as a
>>> separate library. You'd still need to agree on an API contract between
>>> that plugin and Ceilometer, but it doesn't need to leak into release
>>> versioning.
>>
>> OK, so this plugin would just be versioned with the master nova version
>> (e.g. 2012.2) and picked up by ceilo from a (complete) local nova install?
>
>It could just be a Python module shipped within Nova code (in the nova.*
>namespace) that the local Ceilo agent would import. That module could
>have its own API_VERSION which the calling Ceilo code could check for
>sanity... although I suspect ceilo 2013.1 would support the one shipped
>within nova 2013.1.

Wouldn't the driving factor be the versioning of the notification data structure? If we can nail that down (ideally with modular/optional sections that are versioned separately) shouldn't the external/dependent libraries be able still ship separately?

Locking down the notification driver API and perhaps the virt-level hook for extracting/appending additional payload sections might also need to be established early.

Are there other touch points between nova and external monitoring tools?

-S

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack