[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] Multiple publisher and transformer

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Fri Nov 23 15:31:04 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 23 2012, Jiang, Yunhong wrote:

> Followed is the configuration file in my mind:
>
> [publisher.cw.pipe]
>
> *=generic-value-changes:config_file, generic-key-mapping:config_file, generic-field-selection:filed_list
>
> *.cpu = generic-transformer-calculating-cpu-util-from-cumulative-time:interval,*
>
> The format is below, possibly should in BNF :$
> Pollster_source.meter_data=transformer_name:transformer_parameters, transformer_name:transformer_parameters,.....
>
> And "*" applies here.
>
> Added the pollster_source because it's the only information that will not be
> included in the Counter (or Sampler), although not sure the useness.
>
> Is it ok? Too complex?

Yeah, I think it's too ugly in ini format and would be better as a JSON
file so:
1. you don't have to rely on an amazing amount of external config files;
2. you don't have to see or edit it at all if you trust Ceilometer
   defaults.

> I'm not sure if they will be generic enough, like the CW changes will
> be publisher specific,

Sorry, I should have re-read myself, this is not what I meant by
generic. I mean that they'll be indeed publisher specific, but that
every users will likely wants to use the same pipeline for the CW
publisher.

>> JSON file with all the default pipelining set-up correctly for most
>> counters and publishers.
>
> What do you mean of "all the default pipelining"? I suppose the whole
> pipeline definition will be pre-defined. Of course, we will give detailed
> document for each transformer, so that advanced user can create pipeline
> configuration if needed.

It's just that to me I would describe all pipelining in a configuration
file rather than mixing code and configuration.

--
Julien Danjou
-- Free Software hacker & freelance