[openstack-dev] [Keystone] A set of Keystone blueprints relating to domains

Henry Nash henryn at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Nov 22 18:07:15 UTC 2012

Hi David,

So on the idea of using suffix/prefixes for user and domain names to remove the need to add a parameter to the API - I did think about that for a while.  Since it is only the one API (the authentication by username/password) that requires the parameter and that there is no equivalent of "local site login" as in your example, I am not sure the concatenation of the strings buys us much.  I also thought about a system when the domain name is automatically added/stripped from user/project names - but in the end this seems fraught with the usual problems that such schemes have.  I think it is also important that we are clear about can and cannot be used as a unique tag by the users of keystone.

On your more general comment on a wider discussion on RBAC & ABAC should be used, I think that is a good idea.  I think we need to discuss a few things, e.g.:

1) We have RBAC now, similar to many such systems.  How much more extensible do we need to make it?
2) Is ABAC our eventual destination?  I actually think it should be.  But what does that mean?  a) As a replacement for RBAC (i.e. since you should be able to implement any RBAC scheme within a broader ABAC implementation).  Or b) is it to stand alongside RBAC (i.e. a cloud provider could chose which they use)?  If we were designing from a clean sheet of paper, then a) might be the obvious answer - but of course we're not.  It might still be the right path, but we'd have to handle the migration very carefully and as well as really understand what happens to the existing APIs.

I think 2) will take some serious discussion - but I'm all for it.  However, we can't ignore 1).  There are restrictions today in our RBAC that will prevent enterprises using Openstack OTB (Out of The Box), some listed in these blueprints as well as others like the one on "groups of users".  I think we need to keep pushing such improvements forward (we all want market share for Openstack), while keeping an eye to make sure we can sensibly represent them in ABAC form in the future.  A good example is indeed that  groups of users blueprint (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/user-groups).  This is really about allowing the creation of local (i.e. to the domain) organizational role/attributes (I happen to call it a group) that can be mapped to global roles (since that's all we support today as roles are shared secrets between services and keystone).

Henry