[openstack-dev] [nova] versioning scheme for consumable libraries

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Nov 22 10:37:12 UTC 2012

Eoghan Glynn wrote:

>>> Yes, agreed, it does feel like a new thing without a direct
>>> precedent.
>>
>> I fear that when the ML thread favored option 5 it did not really
>> take into account the added complexity on the release side of things
>> (probably my fault for not diving into it earlier). All things
>> considered, it might not be the simplest route.
>
> I guess there other concerns than simplicity influencing that discussion,
> such as eliminating long round-trips for the query path (i.e. nova-api-->
> RPC-->nova-compute), also avoiding usage of private internal nova APIs
> (i.e the compute RPC API).
>
> So while this approach would introduce new complexity to the release
> management side, do you think it's a show-stopper level of complexity,
> or a more a give-us-pause-to-ensure-we-really-need-to-do-this level?

More of a give-us-pause-to-ensure-we-really-need-to-do-this level. But
if we follow the solo route (see other part of the thread) I think we
are not adding any complexity on the organizational/release side of
things (or at least, no complexity or process that we don't already have).

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack