[openstack-dev] A new nova service? nova-periodic?

Michael Still michael.still at canonical.com
Tue Nov 20 02:57:14 UTC 2012

I don't much mind what we call it by the way.

Josh raises a valid point in bug/1080921 -- nova-compute periodic tasks
block incoming API requests from being handled, which is probably
something that you'd never want to see happen in a production deployment.

There's been some back and forth about this in terms of libvirt image
cache management, but it seems that many of the periodic tasks fall into
a category of "I want this to run, but I don't want to block servicing
API requests for it".

What do people think about adding another nova service which runs beside
nova-compute and runs periodic tasks which don't need any sort of shared
global state with nova-compute? We could do it with a flag so that the
default remains to use nova-compute for these periodic tasks, but if you
"opt in" they're done with a nova-periodic instead.

Thoughts?

Michael