[openstack-dev] [nova][baremetal] Next step of Bare-Metal Provisioning

Ken Igarashi 50barca at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 10:44:01 UTC 2012

Hi,

Since several patches start being merged, I would like to start discussion
about the new functions of bare-metal provisioning.

The followings are items as far as I understand (most of them are listed at
https://etherpad.openstack.org/GrizzlyBareMetalCloud). If someone has
already started implementation of some items, or if I miss some important
items, please let me know.  I want to avoid duplicate works and
make Bare-Metal Provisioning better.

1. Security group support (we will use
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/10664/)

2. One nova compute supports multiple CPU archs (x86, arm, tilera,…), power
managers(IPMI, PDU,…) and capabilities

3. Snapshot for a bare-metal instance

4. Access for Nova-Volume (cinder)

- without using nova-compute iSCSI proxy.

- use iSCSI CHAP?

5. Clear ephemeral disk after an instance termination (e.g. fill with zero)

6. Improve an image deployment

- not use iSCSI (get an AMI directory from Glance without using "PXE
bare-metal provisioning helper server")

7. Fault-tolerance of bare-metal nova-compute and database -
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/bare-metal-fault-tolerance

8.  More CPU archs (arm) support

Others

- Use VNC instead of using SOL (Serial over LAN)

- Support a bare-metal node with one NIC (we need at least two NICs today).

NTT docomo team wil provide initial implementations of item 1 and
4(nova-compute iSCSI proxy base).

Thanks,

Ken Igarashi