[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core - a motion

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Fri Nov 16 18:50:04 UTC 2012

> >  there should be an end-result for an Incubation period to result in a
> > final destination that is not related to all the current privileges
> > given to Core projects.
>
> I think this is the bit where you're really trying to make a different proposal,
> but I don't fully understand it.
>
> My motion basically says that the end-resource of Incubation is "part of the
> OpenStack releases" or "not part of the OpenStack releases".
>
> What other end-result do you see?

The only way I see this fitting with the existing discussion is by contextualizing it to the Board's list of "OpenStack Trademark Projects" vs. the TC's list of "OpenStack Projects"... or more specifically by saying that Incubation is the process by which a project becomes an "OpenStack Project" by the TC's standards, but the Board may choose to include it or not in the list of projects which may use the trademark.

I see any further divergence of paths out of incubation as detrimental. The difference should not be within the TC realm; an incubated project should not end up with different statuses based on some arbitrary criteria. Instead, across the TC and Board realms the graduation from incubation may not equate to the same thing as they have up until now.

Hopefully that makes sense,

    - Gabriel