[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] The periodic task on openstack

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 14:32:29 UTC 2012

> > Thanks for following this up!
> >
> > So can I confirm that I've understood the basic issues here are
> > that:
> >
> >  (a) The time spent executing tasks is not accounted for when
> >      determining how much time to sleep between task runs. So
> >      for example if periodic_interval is set to N seconds, the
> >      actual time between tasks is of the order of:
> >
> >        N + \Sigma duration(task_i)/(1 + ticks for task_i)
> >
> >      The more tasks with ticks=0, and the longer the task
> >      duration, the more we skew away from tasks executing on
> >      wall-clock boundaries.
> >
> >  (b) There is no guarantee (beyond convention) that a task won't
> >      take longer than periodic_interval/|tasks| to execute.
> >
> >  (c) There is an indeterminate lag after the expiry of the sleep
> >      interval before the LoopingCall thread is re-scheduled.
> >
> > So could we at least address issue (a) by simply subtracting
> > the duration of the last tasks run from the next sleep interval?
> >
> > e.g. change LoopingCall.start()._inner() as follows:
> >
> >     while self._running:
> > +       start = datetime.datetime.now()
> >         self.f(*self.args, **self.kw)
> > +       end = datetime.datetime.now()
> > +       delta = end - start
> > +       elapsed = delta.seconds + delta.microseconds/(10 ** 6)
> > +       delay = interval - elapsed
> >         if not self._running:
> >             break
> > -       greenthread.sleep(interval)
> > +       greenthread.sleep(delay if delay > 0 else 0)
> >
> > I guess that's what you meant by adjusting the interval
> > dynamically?
>
> > But I'm not sure that we can always address (b) or (c) even with a
> > special thread for high-priority/time-sensitive tasks.
>
> I've noticed that too.  The default interval is 60 seconds.
> However, on a system in a lab environment I saw the tasks taking
> 15-20 seconds.  I imagine that on more heavily loaded systems with a
> lot of instances, it seems likely that (b) could occur.
>
> We could do what you're suggesting, but also parallelize the tasks
> using a threadpool (of real threads) and only kick off a task if it
> has finished running from its last scheduled run.  Does that seem
> reasonable?

Yeah, that could certainly improve matters (similarly with jd_'s
earlier suggestion).

However, here's a concern (that may derive from my ignorance of
green versus real threads) ... if we use a pool of real threads,
would this be problematic when a task touches codepaths previously
monkey-patched to do the cooperative yielding required of potentially
blocking code in order to be eventlet-friendly?

Its almost as if we'd want the standard libs to be unmonkey-patched
when executing on real threads so as to avoid needlessly yielding and
hence chewing up more elapsed time to task completion (if that makes
any sense ...).

Cheers,
Eoghan