[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer] model for ceilo/nova interaction going forward

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 12:09:34 UTC 2012

> you've hit the nail on the head there with that final question ...
>
> Would the nova project be happy to accept:
>
>  (a) the ceilo compute agent repackaged as nova-compute-metering
>
> and,
>
>  (b) the deployment of an additional daemon per compute node
>
> It would be great if we could get some response to the above from
> the nova "leadership" (loosely defined).
>
> Just to muddy the waters further if I may, let me throw a further
> option into the mix:
>
> 5. nova packages a consumable library layered over the hypervisor
>    driver, that just exposes the diagnostics available from libvirt
>    et al. The ceilo compute agent continues to exist under the ceilo
>    umbrella, but talks to the hypervisor directly via this stable,
>    versioned nova library.
>
>    + no remote calls required from ceilo-->nova-{api|compute}
>    - needs an independent versioning scheme
>    - still stuck in the "implicit trust" model?

FYI this thread was discussed at the nova IRC meeting yesterday[1].

TL;DR: provisional good vibes from the nova side on option #5,
       ceilo to follow up with a fleshing out of the proposed API

Cheers,
Eoghan

[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/nova/2012/nova.2012-11-15-21.04.log.html
    #topic ceilometer/nova interaction as discussed on the ML