[openstack-dev] making the dev toolchain easier to bring together

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Nov 14 23:30:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 4:14 AM, Doug Hellmann
<doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> At the moment its a bit of a black art getting setup so that
>> ./run_tests.sh will work in e.g. nova.
>>
>> (For instance, you need python-dev on Ubuntu, and there isn't, AFAICT,
>> any documentation of that other than group-knowledge).
>

> Isn't devstack installing those packages?

Running devstack mangles your environment and generally needs to be
done in a VM - I'm primarily interested in making it possible to setup
a development environment easily and reliably, and keeping the
knowledge locallised to the projects that we have. There is overlap
with devstack, yes, but that overlap can potentially be reduced by
removing this knowledge from devstack, which is why I mentioned
runtime dependencies too.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>