[openstack-dev] [Quantum][LBaaS] Architecture: Agents, Drivers, async calls

Youcef Laribi Youcef.Laribi at eu.citrix.com
Wed Nov 14 20:16:47 UTC 2012

Ilya,

Both designs are valid (whether the LBaaS plugin implements a uniform asynchronous model, or whether to leave it to each vendor to decide whether their driver is synchronous or not), and I'm fine with choosing the one you described. I have a few questions on it.

In that setup, I'm assuming we will have 2 processes: The Quantum service process and the Agent process.  The two communicate thru message queues. No vendor-specific code will be in the Quantum service process. The Agent process is the one that has all the vendors drivers loaded in.

Where are you planning for the agent process to run? On the same host as the Quantum service process? On a separate host? On the device? Imagine in the same agent, you have a case where one driver assumes it is on the same machine as the device (HA-Proxy?), while another driver uses a remote protocol to configure the device (the agent cannot run on the device as the device is a sealed appliance), where does the agent run in this case?

The other question I have is on the LBaaS plugin workflow that you described in this diagram: http://wiki.openstack.org/Quantum/LBaaS/Architecture/ConcurrentRequests. Here it seems that we are returning a response to the user even before we update the database. So, this could mean that if the Quantum service crashes before updating the database, we would have lost all details of the request, even though we have returned a resource ID, and a "PENDING_CREATE" status to the user. So, when the user queries the service (after it has restarted) to get the status of the creation, the resource wouldn't even exist since it has never been saved to the DB. What do you think of updating the DB before returning the response to the user?

Thanks
Youcef