[openstack-dev] [nova] Booting from volume interface improvements

Nikola Đipanov ndipanov at redhat.com
Wed Nov 14 17:33:53 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I was looking into the following summit etherpad
https://etherpad.openstack.org/grizzly-boot-from-volumes
and how to improve launching instances from volumes only and thought the
lowest hanging fruit would be to make nova capable of launching
instances without an image supplied, so here are two patches that I
would like to get thoughts on:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/16099/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/16101/

I do not necessarily expect them to be merged as-is, but I think they
can be a nice introduction to a discussion of what can be done. I
deliberately tried to make them as unobtrusive as possible.

There are of course some issues that these changes will cause, and of
course I may have missed some problems, however, it felt like a
reasonable first step towards improved support for booting from volumes.

Looking forward to everyone's feedback,

Cheers,

Nikola Đipanov
Red Hat