[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Ceilometer] rpc APIs ... private or not?

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Nov 14 17:11:02 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 14 2012, Russell Bryant wrote:

> Can someone do a bit of a problem statement for someone like me that
> isn't completely up to speed on what's going on in Ceilometer in this
> area?

Basically, we want to retrieve informations about instances, like the
CPU time used by each of them, or their network interfaces traffic.

Currently, we have an agent (ceilometer-compute-agent) running on
nova-compute nodes, and polling libvirt using nova internal code we
import.
This has a lot of downside, like depending on nova internal code which
can change, having an agent running on each nova-compute node, and
forcing us to maintain per-hypervisor support (at least for now).

We'd like to move this to an RPC approach, so nova-compute would offer
information like CPU time used by an instance over RPC. This would avoid
running an agent on the compute node, avoid using nova internal API
code, and avoid maintaining per-hypervisor logic into Ceilometer (nova
would be in charge of that).

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker & freelance