[openstack-dev] making the dev toolchain easier to bring together

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 16:20:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
>  - pull the devstack code for interpreting operating system package
> dependencies out of devstack into an oslo tool

Have you read that yet? ;)

> This would also (if desired) allow shrinking this aspect out of devstack.
>
> If this sounds good, I'll look closer at the devstack code to see if
> its sensible to factor it out, or do something similar but parallel.

DevStack is blindly simplistic in handling package dependencies.
There is a file for (potentially) each service listing the Ubuntu
package requirements and if the service is enabled that list is
appended.  That is it.  The files are managed manually.  And there is
another set of files for Fedora (rpms).

Note that we used to handle pips the same way, but that was finally
unified with the package's tools/{pip|test}-requires so there is some
precedence for taking that approach.

There have been a couple of attempts to expand this into a regular
package/dependency management but they always seem to get tangled
dealing with too many distros and their individual packaging
decisions.

Take a look at Joshua Harlow's Anvil.  This was one of his motivations
to try something different than DevStack's approach, and do it in
Python.  He may have something that is complete enough to do what you
are planning.

dt

--

Dean Troyer