[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core - a motion

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Nov 14 15:16:52 UTC 2012

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>> What I think we actually want is to redefine "OpenStack projects" as
>> being "Services + Library + Gating + Supporting" (instead of Core +
>> Library + Gating + Supporting), with "OpenStack Services" being the
>> projects sharing the same release cycle. Have incubation be the trial
>> period to prove you can become an official OpenStack Service. Then let
>> the BoD pick which of those "OpenStack projects" they want to consider
>> "core" for trademark use.
>
> Do we really need to have these classifications in the bylaws?

No, we don't really need to set the classification in stone in the
bylaws (and we would gain in future flexibility if it wasn't). We just
need to have the OpenStack projects being defined as a superset of the
Core projects. The current bylaws, however, mention the current
classification. So if we don't make that classification evolve, we still
might need to revisit that definition.

> How does this update sound?
> [...]

Sounds good to me.