[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core - a motion

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Nov 14 11:04:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-07 at 17:40 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:

> We need to discuss all this in the next two weeks before delegates of
> the TC will join a committee with Board of Directors delegates to come
> to a final decision on this. So let the public discussion begin.

I think this was a really excellent discussion, kudos to all.

The TC should have an agreed direction when we talk to the Board and
when a decision is reached with the Board, that should come back and be
voted on by the TC.

i.e. the TC should vote on a direction now and then vote on the detailed
decision later.

Here's a first attempt at a "direction motion" for the TC to vote on:

  The concepts of "what is core" and "what is in OpenStack" have been
  conflated until now. The TC cares far more about the process for new
  projects to be included in the coordinated release than it cares about
  which projects are required to be used by providers in order to access
  the trademark.

  We would like to take an inclusive but measured approach to accepting
  new OpenStack projects. We should evaluate any given proposed project
  on whether it embraces our values and processes, is useful to
  OpenStack users, well integrated with other projects and represents a
  sensible broadening of the scope of OpenStack.

  We see Incubation as a trial period where promising projects have the
  opportunity to demonstrate their suitability for inclusion in our
  coordinated releases.

  We see the term "Core OpenStack Project" in section 4.1.b of the
  bylaws as being solely related to trademark guidelines. We would be
  happy to see the term "Core" fall into disuse and for the Foundation
  to simply maintain a list of projects required for trademark usage.

Please feel free to suggest changes to this motion or, indeed, propose a
motion describing a different approach.

Cheers,
Mark.