[openstack-dev] Planning the network

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Wed Nov 14 06:10:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there anywhere a comprehensive document on how Quantum plug-in makes
> networking easier/better?
> As far as I know right now there are 2 big limitations concerning the
> network:
> 1 - if you go with VlanManager you will hit the 4096 vlan number
> 2 - if you go with flat you will end up with one huge and ugly broadcast
> domain

Hi Nux,

One way for addressing both the limitations you mention above (VLAN limits,
and requiring large physical broadcast domains) is to use a L2-in-L3
"overlay tunneling".  Overlay tunneling provides isolation without using
VLANs, and allows VMs to communicate at L2 even when the computes nodes
they are on are not on the same physical L2 network.  In the Folsom release
of Quantum, both the OVS plugin and Nicira NVP plugin include support for
this type of overlay tunneling.

Dan

> Suggestions? I'm running Folsom.
>
> --