[openstack-dev] oslo-incubator

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 19:56:39 UTC 2012

Hey

On Tue, 2012-11-13 at 07:02 -0800, James E. Blair wrote:
> Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> writes:
>
> > When the API is ready for a library release, we either create a new
> > library that installs into the 'oslo' namespace package or add it to an
> > existing library. Either way, it moves out of oslo-incubator at that
> > point and switch to using it as a normal library API.
> >
> > The point of calling the repo oslo-incubator is to reinforce the idea
> > that code isn't intended to live their forever. It's a stepping stone
> > towards a proper library release.
> >
> > I think this will all become more obvious to everyone after we do our
> > first library release. We're starting with oslo-config once some last
> > minute things are wrapped up:
> >
> >   https://github.com/markmc/oslo-config
>
> Thanks for the clarification.  Your last link suggests some questions
> about the details of the process of splitting off a stable library from
> incubation.
>
> Are you planning on continuing to host the development of libraries in
> the project infrastructure, with the tree in /markmc just a platform for
> doing an initial import into Gerrit?

Right, that was literally a first experiment - it should move to
openstack infrastructure when it's ready

> The tree to which you linked contains only one commit with no
> development history of the files in it.  I think it would be better to
> clone the repo and rewrite the history to remove irrelevant files
> leaving the history of the final files intact.

That's a good point, will do.

> We've done this a few
> times when we broke out projects (such as jenkins-job-builder and
> gerritlib) from the openstack-ci-puppet project.
>
> Additionally, the openstack-common project still exists in Launchpad.  I
> noticed you moved all the bugs to olso, however, new ones have been
> reported since then.

Thanks, I've moved them now.

> I think to avoid confusion, we should delete the
> openstack-common project, or at least disable all its features and
> change the description to point people at oslo.

I'm up for that - do you have any specifics on what launchpad allows on
this front (apart from just updating the description)?

> And finally, once this is all hashed out, it might be a good idea to
> have a wiki page describing the Oslo intent and process.

Yeah, I'll move this:

  http://wiki.openstack.org/CommonLibrary

to /Oslo and update it to reflect the latest thinking. It's not too out
of date, though.

Cheers,
Mark.