[openstack-dev] RabbitMQ Scaling

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 18:24:33 UTC 2012

On Nov 13, 2012, at 10:14 AM, Ray Pekowski <pekowski at gmail.com> wrote:
> My question is whether anyone thinks it is a worthwhile effort to investigate code changes to the Openstack RPC that would make the RPC responses flow on static exchanges and queues?

Yes I think this is worthwhile. A few people have tried this out and there doesn't seem to be any reason why this wouldn't work. This should be done in oslo-incubator (formerly openstack-common)
> Or is the general opinion that RabbitMQ is not good for other reasons and effort should be spent on some other transport?

Most of the complaints about rabbit have been around making it HA as opposed to scaling it up.
> Or has this been thought of and rejected as too hard?

See above.
> Or is someone already working on it?

People have prototyped it before but I don't know of anyone else that is currently working on it.
> I would like to work on something worthwhile with regards to Openstack performance and not duplicating any else’s short term effort.

I'd say give it a shot.

Vish