[openstack-dev] oslo-incubator [was Re: [CI] Gerrit downtime 2012-11-11]

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 11:02:33 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 09:13 -0800, heckj wrote:
> Jeremy's already made the GIT move to change oslo over to
> oslo-incubator, but I'd like to seriously reconsider that move.
> Presumably we'll need to move it again when you want to stop calling
> it incubator

As Vish said, this repo will continue to be named oslo-incubator into
the long term.

The idea is that if some code is being copied and pasted between
projects right now, the first step is to move the code into
oslo-incubator and get all projects onto the same version of the code
via the "managed copy and paste" update.py mechanism.

Once in oslo-incubator, we work on getting the code to have a stable,
supportable API so that we can release it as a normal library package
with a commitment to backwards compatibility around it.

When the API is ready for a library release, we either create a new
library that installs into the 'oslo' namespace package or add it to an
existing library. Either way, it moves out of oslo-incubator at that
point and switch to using it as a normal library API.

The point of calling the repo oslo-incubator is to reinforce the idea
that code isn't intended to live their forever. It's a stepping stone
towards a proper library release.

I think this will all become more obvious to everyone after we do our
first library release. We're starting with oslo-config once some last
minute things are wrapped up:

  https://github.com/markmc/oslo-config

Cheers,
Mark.