[openstack-dev] Oslo Grizzly Plans

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 15:08:15 UTC 2012

Hi

I've been a bit tardy gathering together our plans for Oslo in Grizzly,
apologies.

The first thing we're doing is renaming the project from
openstack-common to Oslo. The Oslo project[1], core[2] and driver[3]
teams, blueprints[4] and bugs[5] have all been sorted out.

The openstack-common git repository has been renamed to oslo-incubator.
The idea is that this repository is a stepping stone for new APIs before
being properly released in an Oslo library package.

Which brings us to the next part of Oslo's Grizzly plan ... releasing
our first library package. We hope to release oslo-config as part of the
grizzly-1 milestone. Two things remain before we're ready to do that -
firstly, the work going on to re-write cfg to use argparse[7] and,
secondly, agreeing on what versioning scheme[8] Oslo releases will
follow.

The other set of APIs which could potentially be promoted out of
oslo-incubator during Grizzly is the RPC and messaging APIs. However,
there was some discussion at the Design Summit about making these APIs
more generic messaging APIs and there is a set of outstanding cleanup
tasks associated with the rpc-api-review[9] blueprint. We also have
decided we need to version the RPC message format[10]. Finally, there is
ongoing discussion around whether Kombu as a default RPC driver makes
sense[11].

Kevin Mitchell has done great work implementing a new language for
policy specifications[12]. This work is already merged. Kevin also has
some ideas to help with documenting policies[13].

Next on the list is adding basic service infrastructure[14] into Oslo.
Angus Salkeld has done some great work kicking this off and our focus
should be on having the various projects attempt to adopt the APIs we
have added to oslo-incubator since the Folsom release. Angus has also
been working on making Oslo's WSGI code more closely match Nova's
current implementation[15] with a view to having a number of projects
adopt these APIs.

Thierry plans to move rootwrap into Oslo[16] in time for grizzly-2.
Since Nova, Cinder and Quantum are all using rootwrap, this would be a
big step forward.

There are a number of other blueprints that haven't yet owners or a
clear plan for Grizzly, but we may yet seem them come together in good
time for the release!

Thanks,
Mark.

[1] - https://launchpad.net/oslo