[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Fri Nov 9 17:36:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Gabriel Hurley <Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com>wrote:

>  We need to step back for a minute and question the supposition that a
> “non-core but blessed by OpenStack” category is benefical. I don’t believe
> it is.****
>
> ** **
>
> There are serious implications to creating a space which is not core but
> is blessed by the foundation/TC. It sends mixed messages to the community
> and has a significant impact on the ecosystem. All the concerns the TC has
> about crushing ecosystem competition when debating incubation apply just as
> much to creating a second “non-core” space.****
>
> ** **
>
> There should be Core, and then there should be a thriving community which
> is supported equally by the foundation. Nothing in between. We can’t play
> favorites there.

I'm not sure what you mean by equally supported. Do you mean the Foundation
should, or should not, provide any support?

>  **
>
> I also think we’re placing too much weight on the value of CI
> infrastructure and release management. Projects have been doing that for
> themselves forever and there’s lots of free (or nearly free) services for
> Open Source projects readily available.

It's not just CI or infrastructure resources we need to allocate, though.
How much time would community projects have at developer summits? The
conference center in San Diego was huge, but there was limited space and
time for non-core projects to meet. If the Foundation is going to be
supporting other community projects should they be given more time?

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Ultimately making another category is just a way to dodge the hard issue
> of what is truly core. Whether core is Iaas or a viable cloud at all levels
> of the stack… that’s the real debate here.

That is *a* real debate, and an important one. I don't think it's the only
question, though.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> I agree (even at peril to my own project’s status) that Horizon (currently
> core), Ceilometer (currently incubated) and Heat (incubated largely by a
> plurality of abstentions) fall above the realm of IaaS. However I think
> that Core would be excruciatingly lacking without the inclusion of
> higher-layer projects for two main reasons:****
>
> ** **
>
> **1.       **Higher-layer projects are the only check on the unity of the
> “core” projects. Projects that span the APIs of Nova, Glance, Swift and
> Quantum are the ones that discover the pain points. They’re the ones that
> can work towards OpenStack feeling cohesive. Without those OpenStack is
> just a trademark and a bunch of arbitrary code.****
>
> ** **
>
> **2.       **Higher-layer projects (particularly Horizon) improve the
> discoverability, usability and visibility of OpenStack. At this point most
> new users considering OpenStack experience Horizon first. When people want
> to demo OpenStack’s functionalities, they use Horizon. That’s quite
> telling. Humans are inherently visual creatures and the majority of the
> future users of “cloud” are not the type who want arcane CLIs. Folks from
> Amazon, Rackspace and any other cloud provider will tell you that services
> experience a huge increase in usage when they integrate into the dashboard.
> Losing that from Core benefits nobody. ****
>
> ** **
>
> As a final argument, let me flip things the other way and suppose that
> Horizon was designated a “supported” project. If that entails the arduous
> Gerrit review process and having to clear major decisions with the broader
> community rather than just letting my team keep building great things…
> that’s enough of a disincentive that I’d rather not be “supported”. I’ll go
> build something autonomously, promote it aggressively, make it dead-simple
> to install, and if it’s cool people will use it. People will use it in
> spite of a core component if it’s better in every metric.

That's a good point, and we see that already to some degree in the
monitoring space.