[openstack-dev] [Nova] [baremetal] moving forward with baremetal reviews

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Nov 9 15:29:18 UTC 2012

On 11/09/2012 05:10 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Devananda van der Veen wrote:
>> I am following up to today's lively discussion of how we can best get
>> the baremetal driver into trunk. There was a fair bit of resistance from
>> nova-core to the idea of merging the code right now. That said, I don't
>> think having multiple teams developing something this large outside
>> trunk is going to end well, and the discussion was left unresolved.
>
> Note that we have the (experimental) option of creating "feature
> branches" in gerrit, like Keystone did for keystone-v3 stuff. This might
> be an option to let you work collaboratively without borking master.

The base patches for baremetal changes touch so many places in nova in
small ways that a feature branch is just going to mean continual rebase
ninjaing. I don't think that it's really worth the effort. Given that
it's often taken a while to respin the base patches in the first place,
I don't think that's really viable.

Better to tackle those head long and just work them in the normal way.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
IBM Linux Technology Center