[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Thu Nov 8 19:00:56 UTC 2012

100% agree that who the determining who the "true audience" of OpenStack is lies directly at the heart of this matter. We can't decide what projects best serve our audience without agreeing on who they are.

And I too disagree wholeheartedly with the assertion that OpenStack's audience are operators. Let me give some examples:

  1. Whether it's a Nebula cloud or an NTT cloud or an HP cloud or Rackspace's new OpenStack cloud, end users are directly using the OpenStack CLIs and APIs every day. They're using Horizon to interact with those clouds in many cases.

  2. Stepping away from the companies that are trying to productize OpenStack in its entirety, there are innumerable people trying to productize one component or their add-on service wherein their users end up using a vanilla "Core" OpenStack install all the time.

  3. You know what the first thing I did when I learned about OpenStack was? I downloaded it and installed it on my server in my personal office so I could stop paying Rackspace to host my development VMs. As a User, that was my first thought. I used vanilla OpenStack and the pre-Diablo Horizon and muddled my way through the completely opaque CLIs and incomplete dashboard and I got my VMs running so I could save myself money and get on with my work.

If OpenStack is for operators, then who are they building a cloud for?

    - Gabriel