[openstack-dev] [nova] bug issue with /v2/, need a stable place for wadl file

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Nov 8 12:24:29 UTC 2012

As part of the api-audit -
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/nova-v2-api-audit I was
brushing up on our docs, and starting to verify that we do what our docs
say we do.

http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-compute/2/content/Versions-d1e1193.html
says that when you do a GET on /v2/ you get:

  "The detailed version response contains pointers to both a
human-readable and a machine-processable description of the API service.
The machine-processable description is written in the Web Application
Description Language (WADL)."

If you do that for nova (grizzly) today you get the following (more
details in https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1076109/)

... "links": [
    {"href": "http://9.114.219.71:8774/v2/", "rel": "self"},
    {"href":
"http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-compute/1.1/os-compute-devguide-1.1.pdf",
"type": "application/pdf", "rel": "describedby"},
    {"href":
"http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-compute/1.1/wadl/os-compute-1.1.wadl",
"type": "application/vnd.sun.wadl+xml", "rel": "describedby"}
]

The describedby urls are both for version 1.1, as well as not actually
working.

Docs don't match code. We need to fix one or the other. I think this one
should fix in code, the docs make sense.

This is a bug that we can fix, but the real question is where we should
cannonically put the wadl file.

The PDF has an updated url we can use.

The WADL isn't directly accessible on the docs.openstack.org site, so
the only live link is github, which is bad. I think we need a stable
place for the wadl file here off the docs.openstack.org site.

The one question that was raised in talking with the doc team is were
these urls intended to be actual urls or just namespaces. The docs seem
pretty clear to me these are actual urls, so we need them to actually
exist. But other opinions welcome. :)

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague